Well for a movie that never got made alas. Emma Bull’s War for The Oaks tells the story of Eddi, a rock and roll musician, that gets caught up in the enternal war between the Summer and Winter Courts of the Fey. You can read our review here. It’s a splendid story told well that even has its soundtrack, many of the songs there covered by Cats Laughing, a band that Emma and a lot of other cool folk are in, so see our review of Another Way to Travel for that story.
- What’s New for the 5th of February: Time travel stories, Fairport and related music, a desert island disc, graphic classics, an Alice in Wonderland adaptation, and lots of chocolate
- A Kinrowan Estate story: Our Rooms
- What’s New for the 22nd of January: Lots of mysteries; ambient music, jazz, Norwegian Americana, and lots of English folk rock; live yoiking; and comfort food
- A Kinrowan Estate story: Blizzard (A Letter to Tessa)
- What’s New for the 8th of January: Books about music – Sandy Denny, Fairport, Tommy James, Jethro Tull, Beatles and more; Festival Express; music about booze; Nordic music reviews old and new; and more
- A Kinrowan Estate story: A Gathering of Stitchers
- What’s New for 25th of December: DeLint, Irish folklore, firecrackers and sf; the Grinch, eggnog, and The Polar Express; holiday themed music, and Jennifer Stevenson’s ‘Solstice’
- A Kinrowan Estate Story: Nicholas
- What’s New for the 11th of December: DeLint and Yolen, some space opera and a lot of Peanuts; holiday music from Norway, Jethro Tull, and elsewhere; new music from Unthank:Smith, Melissa Carper, ambient country, new prog jazz, heavy Nordic folk rock; and a wee nibbling mousie
- A Kinrowan Estate story: Of Bloodied Kings
- What’s New for the 27th of November: sf, mysteries, and an sf mystery; Finnish light jazz and tango, plus music of a leftover nature; autumnal gardening, Oysters with June Tabor; and rhubarb wine?
- A Kinrowan Estate story: Of Puppets and Their Masters (A Letter to Anna)
- What’s New for the 13th of November: SF from G. Willow Wilson, R F Kuang, Emery Robin, Everina Maxwell, Larry Niven, and some detective fiction; Persepolis; Vonnegut-inspired jazz, English and Welsh folk music, Balkan music; truly bad candy; some Tolkieniana, and more
- A Kinrowan Estate story: Foxes
- What’s New for the 30th of October: Spooks galore! Stephen King, Ellen Datlow, William Gibson; Halloween on screen; bad Dracula; Singing Bones, Metallica on cellos, scary chocolates and more
- A Kinrowan Estate story: All Hallows’ Eve
- What’s New for the 16th of October: Fantasy maps, Bradbury mysteries, Middle Earth history; Cajun music on film; comfort foods; Daredevil; classical music reviews, and more
- A Kinrowan Estate story: Staging Shakespeare
- What’s New for the 2nd of October: Contradance music and Arabian fuzz, William Gipson redux, military SF and horror, soul cake, and more
- A Kinrowan Estate story: Chasing Fireflies
- What’s New for the 18th of September: Our Elizabeth Bear edition, plus some de Lint on film and in comics, contemporary raga, lots of traditional fiddle music and a Bert Jansch tribute, and of course dragons and chocolate.
- A Kinrowan Estate Story: Kedgeree, or Khichari You If Prefer
- What’s New for the 4th of September: A Rivers of London novella, a Piece of Pulp gets the Film Treatment,Ice Cream, Jethro Tull’s ‘The Hunting Girl’
- A Kinrowan Estate story: You’re Invited to A Pig Roast
- What’s New for the 21st of August: Summer Queen SJ ‘Sooj’ Tucker including her performing ‘Ravens in the Library’, Swedish folk music, Matt Wagner’s Grendel and a wee bit more.
- A Kinrowan Estate story: A Cat Myth
- What’s New for the 7th of August: lots of SF books and audiobooks; Euro-folk, Indian classical, and some jazz, plus lots of African music; jerky; Jonah Hex; and more!
- A Kinrowan Estate story: Dolmens
- What’s New for the 24th of July: Some Favorite Doctor Whos, Robert Hunter’s ‘Brown-Eyed Women’, a Musical Playlist from Gary Whitehouse, a Bevy of Live Music reviews and Elizabeth Bear on All Things Foodie
- A Kinrowan Estate story: Weavers and Stitchers